Monday, April 11, 2011

SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT- Mr. McClung


comic about technology
1. What do you know (or have you found out) about Mr. McClung that is reflected in the way he has constructed his class blog? Mr. McClung is an 8th grade teacher at Woodland Jr. High School in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He teaches many subjects including social studies, History, computer applications and even coaches cross country. Currently he is getting his masters at the University of Arkansas. He is a big supporter of technology in the classroom and tries his best to incorporate it in all his lesions. For example in his class blog, he has constructed a huge learning tool involving technology because  the class blog is full of information that is useful to his students, other students, parents and teachers.

2. Comment on what you would say about Mr. McClung as an educator. I believe he is an awesome educator because he tries really hard to keep information available to students, parents and anyone else by using the newest forms of technology. These newer technologies are the ones students and parents need to learn about and how there involved in every course not just computer courses.  He is a great example of how educators can involve technology in their classroom.   

3. I asked above that you read Mr. McClung's "rules" and think about them. What do they say about Mr. McClung, his teaching, and his connection with his students? What is your reaction to these rules (and guides) as a student and as an aspiring teacher? Mr. McClung’s rules are defiantly useful and are very inspiring. I think his rules let students make choices and provide a better learning environment because he lets them communicate and participate in teaching other classmates. Even though Mr. McClung has a more open classroom he still provides structure that is usually needed in a student’s life, like when to talk and when not to.    

4. What was the first thing under Everyone needs? Why do you suppose that is the first requirement? Everyone needs a day planner. I believe this to be very important because a planner helps you keep up with assignments and due dates. A student can also use it to build a day to day schedule.

5. Note the penalties for being late (under Homework). Compare them with my penalties for being late. Comment. Penalties for being late are a letter drop for each day. I think your penalties are sort of the same because you take it very seriously and your penalties may even be worse.

6. Read carefully his paragraph about what he hopes to accomplish with his blog. Comment and apply to your own aspirations as a teacher. I hope to provide a class blog for my students as Mr. McClung has done. I want to incorporate new technology in my classroom by using a class blog to keep parents and students up to date and involved.   

7. I asked you to review at least two Useful Links in depth after reviewing all of them. Which two did you review in depth? Describe each of the two. How might each be used? Why do you think each made Mr. McClung's list. The first one I liked is Discovery Education and I believe it made his list because it goes beyond the classroom and provides answers to student’s curiosity that might not be answered in a classroom. I thought it was cool that students could check their facts they find online or anywhere with
Reference Desk. I think this web site provides great help when doing research. I think I would get my students to use both of these links because each can bring something to my classroom and help students learn.


8. Under Internet Safety I asked you to read carefully the rules Mr. McClung sets forth for safely using the internet. Comment on these rules. Are there any you would add or subtract? I feel like he covered almost everything as the internet can be very dangerous. I think he is correct when saying they should not reply to threatening comments and to always keep your last name anonymous. I think some of these rules should apply to our class because I do not like giving out my information but I do anyways because Dr. Strange tells me to.

9. In the C4K part of this blog I asked that you look carefully at one of the categories under which you assigned post was filed. What did you find? Select one of the posts in the category and review it for me. I was assigned to Class Discussion- Trail of Tears.  I found that he is involving technology in his history class by videos, as he had an open discussion that had been but on a video. His question was “The removal of Native American tribes from their homeland wrong or was necessary for expansion of the US in the 1800’s?” I found that he got his students to interact with each other by creating a spectrum on the board which let students see were other students stood on the matter.   

10. Mr. McClung uses Edublog as his blog host. In some ways it may seem more "advanced." But Blogger has many abilities that we have not covered in EDM310. This leads to this question: Is there anything (or things) that Mr. McClung can do with his blog that you would like to do in Blogger? I like the columns he provides at the top and would like to set my blog up like that. I would like to do this because I feel it will make my blog more organized and a better learning tool.

11. In what ways does Mr. McClung make his blog useful to parents, teachers, administrators, students like you, and others? Because he provides an example of how you can use your blog. He lets parents know what is expected, the rules and also helpful information on what their kids are doing in the classroom. It provides me with some useful ideas and materials that can help with my learning which I plan to add to my PLN.  

12. How does Mr. McClung's 8th grade blog differs from other blogs you have visited including other 8th grade blogs? Why the differences do you think? Other blogs I have seen do not or have very little blogging and are just the very basics most of the time. I think the difference is the way his blog is set up and his rules he applies to his classroom. I think he does this through his teaching and how he lets his students interact and communicate, much more than other students are allowed to.

13. Add any additional comments you think would be useful in analyzing Mr. McClung's World in depth. I just really liked how organized and up to date his class blog is because even though some teachers have class blogs there usually behind or do not contain all the information like Dr. McClung’s does.  

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way you do about Mr. McClung. I agree that he is extremely organized which amazes me. I would love be to that organized.

    ReplyDelete