Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog Post 3

students using the computer

1. Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today (4:45)
    I like the film a Vision of Students Today by Michael Wesch. This video showed what students are really doing in the classroom and what evolves their lives. My life at college is not exactly like that but kind of close.
    I spend a lot of time sitting in a classroom, especially my first two years which consisted of long lectures. It sad to say but in college many teachers don’t know anything about their students or their interests. I never use my computer in class but definitely understand why students spend so much time e-mailing, face booking, and using other ways of communication. This video makes me think about my college experience and ways I could make it much more educational for my benefit.


2. Read the post "It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines
    I found the post, It’s Not About The Technology by Kelly Hines interesting and in many cases true. She talks about technology and what it brings to the future and how teaching is highly evolved. Hines gives examples of the technology tools we use today and provides a list of things teachers must recognize to be effective in teaching.
    First on the list is teachers should be learners, I agree, this is very important because if teachers are not updated with the new tools and trends how can they relate to their students and teach something they don’t understand. She also gives three more ways teachers must recognize to be better educators. If you have not read Kelly Hines post, I think you should it is very interesting and beneficial.


3. Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
    Karl Fisch’s post, “Is it okay to be a technologically illiterate teacher?”, made me wonder if it is OK? I would say no, you need to be at least somewhat knowledgeable. What is a technology literate teacher ? I cannot answer this for I do not know. This brings me to Karl Fisch who gives a list of standards that he believes educators should know.
    This is one mans opinion and I will take it into consideration when teaching my students. I agree with his first standard, that all educators should achieve a basic level of technology capability. You have to know this to be able to teach it. Times are changing, and more, and more classrooms are becoming involved in technology. How will you be able to assist if you do not know the fundamentals of technology. Believe me I am not an expert on the subject, far from it, but I am learning as well.


4. Gary Hayes Social Media Count
    What do they mean for your professional career as a teacher? Gary Hayes social media counts shows how active and dynamic the social web, mobile industry, and gaming business is. This has a big impact on my professional career as a teacher because this is what I have to look forward to when I teach. This will impact the way I communicate with my students and their parents. I have to know all the new social networks and media available to better my teaching experience.

1 comment:

  1. When you think about Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today, in what ways do you think that you can change the students minds to help them use their technology more responsibly in class?

    We are all learning something new everyday with technology. Don't let it discourage you if you don't know everything about it, no one does!

    Good post Brittany,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete