Sunday, May 1, 2011

Special Assignment


metaphor


When I read this assignment I completely missed the metaphor. I am not really sure how I missed the metaphor, maybe because I am always rushing and skipped right over it. I did as Dr. Strange said and plugged in the word computer, it was different all together, providing a better understanding. I don't think I am the best at picking out metaphors but feel much better about them now.
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
I have encountered loads of them much more than I realized. You can find them everywhere movies, books, the radio. I herd one in a movie the other day which I immediately recognized because I've herd it more than once, "grabbing the bulls by the horn". Also my family sometimes tells me to not "beat around the bush".
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
Well you can do as you did and give a lesson on it or an assignment.
Since I am going to be teaching elementary or any grade level, now that I think of it, is to incorporate metaphors in a daily use and by pointing them out. Maybe by using them often and understanding there meaning they should be able to spot them.
4. Why do we use metaphors?
I think we use metaphors to add "more" by emphasizing. Also to draw a comparison between the two meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment